Friday, February 26, 2010

UEST: Before statehood.



UEST: Before statehood.
APPRAISER: Before statehood. You brought this piece to be appraised, which was your mother's.
GUEST: Oh, yeah, she was a collector of jewelry and this was a fabulous piece she had. She told me it came from Siberia.
APPRAISER: What was your mother doing in Siberia?
GUEST: Well, as a teenager, she was... with my father at the time, and they were traveling the world on their expedition to create world peace.
APPRAISER: Yes.
GUEST: They stayed with families in each country and in Siberia, they stayed with a nice family there, and on departure, they dug this up from where they were hiding their precious things, so they gave this to Mom.
APPRAISER: I looked at the bracelet very carefully. I know that you asked me, "Is it 14-karat or 18-karat?" but obviously you knew it was gold. I tested it with jeweler's acid, which is how we can do it when it's not marked, and it is solid 18-karat gold and quite substantial. And heavy.
GUEST: The weight, yes.
APPRAISER: I don't have a scale that goes this high for gold. I would say it's at least a quarter of a pound of 18-karat gold, but the work is extraordinary. I also poured over this bracelet, looking for a Russian mark. I wanted to see some kind of mark. There's absolutely nothing on it to indicate a country of origin, which is not unusual in antique jewelry. They just didn't always mark things. And you have to judge the pieces on their merit. This is what would be call

No comments:

Post a Comment